Environmental Services Section (ESS)
If you are seeking a license this is a good place to start for questions relating to meat, dairy, pesticides, feed, seed, fertilizer, aquaculture, pesticide use credentials, equine, native plant, and brand issuance. Please contact licensing at [email protected] or at 602-542-3578.
Who We Are
For all pesticide use compliance, including worker safety inspection related questions, please contact:
Yuma ESS Office:
Alex Bellotti or Ernesto Lugo - (928) 344-7909
Phoenix ESS Office:
Alex Meraz - (480) 737-0784.
For compliance related to agriculture pesticides or places selling feed, fertilizer or seed, please contact:
Yuma ESS Office:
Arturo Aguirrebarrena - (928) 344-7909
Phoenix ESS Office:
Jim Steelman or Dennis Wheeler - (602) 542-0959
For other concerns:
Associate Director: Jack Peterson ([email protected])
Administrative Assistant: Shella Merle ([email protected])
What We Do
- Sampling all feeds, fertilizers, pesticides and seeds for product quality to ensure consumers receive what the label states.
- Ensure compliance with pesticide use laws in agriculture, ensuring established buffer zones are followed, label directions are adherd to, and people are protected.
- Train and certify pesticide applicators and advisors. Provide Worker Safety program training, which is to prevent or limit farmworkers exposure to pesticides by ensuring employers know their responsibilities as far as the use of pesticides and portecting their employees.
Link to our Newsletter, "The ESS Review".
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a pesticide? (click to find out)
Where can I find more information on bulk pesticide handling requirements? (click to find out)
Do I need a license, permit and/or certification for using pesticide agriculturally? (The Pest Management Division has separate requirements so please ensure you know where you applying to know which license, permit or certification you need.)
The Arizona Department of Agriculture administers 20 tests relating to agricultural pesticide usage. Use the Key to Licenses, Permits & Certifications to decide what you need.
Tests are administered by appointment in Phoenix (602) 542-3578, Tucson (520) 628-6317or (520) 770-3035 and Yuma (928) 344-7909.
There is no cost associated with taking the exam. There is a cost for obtaining the certification or license which is shown in ( ) after the listed exam.
If you are applying pesticides for hire to structures like houses or in any non-farm setting please contact the Licensing section at 602-542-3578 to answer your pest management licensing related questions.
Where do I find businesses or individuals who hold licenses, permits, and/or certifications?
Find them using these resources:
- Pesticide Registration Search
- Pesticide Ag Use Related Credential Holder Search
- Trainer Search
- Fertilizer License Search
- Seed Dealer Search
- Seed Labeler Search
- Feed License Search
What tests are offered?
- Private Applicator exam and Private Applicator Fumigation exam (only allows use of fumigants for on-farm stored commodity or burrowing rodents) - ($50)
- Commercial Applicator Core Exam - ($50)
- Commercial Applicator Core Category exams (you must pass at least one category exam to be commercially certified):
- Ag Pest Control
- Forest Pest Control
- Seed Treatment
- Aquatic Pest Control
- Pest Control Advisor (PCA) Core exam - ($50)
- Pest Control Advisor Category exams (you must pass at least one category exam to be licensed as a PCA):
- Insects and Mites
- Plant Pathogens
- Plant Growth Regulators
- Custom Applicator Core Exam (to apply pesticides by air or for hire) - ($100)
- Custom Applicator Ground or Air exam (you must pass at least one of the category exams to be licensed)
- Pilots exam (final exam for those who fly the planes applying pesticides) - ($50)
Where do I find a list of forms?
Visit our Download Forms page.
Can I see how many credit hours I have accumulated?
Important Notice: You can still see the classes you have taken even if your license has expired, the ability to see the courses taken is not verification your license is still valid. If you are uncertain about your license status go here: http://searchagriculture.az.gov/SearchAg/Home/Credentials If it is not found please contact licensing for further verification at 602-542-3578.
Pest Control Advisor (PCA) and Private (PUP) or Commercial (PUC) applicators can check your Continuing Education Units (hours) here - http://searchagriculture.az.gov/SearchAg/Home/CEUs
You can get more detail here, if you have your login information: https://renewals.azda.gov/credentials
Where do I find a list of available continuing education credit hours?
- Continuing education credit hours - make sure you are taking ag hours and not PMD hours
- Pesticide Safety Trainer information and workshop schedules
- Annual Agriculture Recertification Course (CEU Training) -
Held annually - 6 CEUs available for the attending both morning and afternoon sessions.
2022 Course Dates: SEE FLYER
December 13 - Yuma County Public Works Department
December 15 - Maricopa Ag Center
December 20 - Willcox - Public Safety Building
The course is repeated in each of the 3 locations and provides 3 CEUs for the morning session and 3 CEUs for the afternoon session.
Where do I find information about native plants?
Check out our information about Arizona native plants or view the articles below.
What pesticides can I apply to cannabis in Arizona?
What do I need to know about Bee Keepers/Pollinators?
Local jurisdications may have restrictions relating to placement of bee hives under their planning and zoning regulations. Check with county or city planning and zoning agencies for further information.
In addition, Arizona has a law relating to bee hive placement near agricultural lands. Please go to the download forms page and click on Bees-Notification by Beekeepers to Landowners.
Further helpful information with many useful links can be found found further down on this page under "Important Documents" look for "Arizona Managment Plan for Pollinator Protection".
Compliance Reference Information
For more information, call (602) 542-3578.