National Premises Identification Number (PIN) & AZ Flock ID
Why Does Premises and Animal Identification Matter?
The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal Disease Traceability Premises Program is designed to protect the food supply by tracing infected and exposed animals back to their origin (premises). It starts with registering your premises where the livestock are located. At present there are 1964 registered Arizona premises.
- Rapid identification and containment of a foreign animal disease outbreak.
- Bio-security of the Arizona and national livestock herd.
- Identification of livestock vaccinated or tested under official disease control or eradication programs.
- Official identification of animals in interstate or international commerce.
- Accurate identification of blood and tissue specimens.
- Improvement of laboratory diagnostic and reporting capabilities.
- Health status certification of herds, States, and Regions.
- Effective regionalization and risk assessment in support of international trade.
Why Register Your Premises?
- Premises identification is being implemented on a voluntary Federal basis nation-wide.
- Protect your premises and your livelihood.
- Reduce hardships caused by a disease outbreak or other animal health event in your community.
- Protect your access to markets.
- ADA will protect individuals' private information.
- It's voluntary.
- It's a partnership.
What About Privacy?
Only the State Veterinarian will have access to the data as needed to carry out Arizona's animal disease prevention, control and response program.
Do I have to Pay to Apply?
There is no charge.
Should I apply for a National Premise ID or an Arizona Flock ID?
National Premises IDs are tied to the specific property. If you move, your ID does not move with you so you would need to reapply for a new premise ID number. National Premises IDs are for cattle, bison, swine, and only used for sheep and goats in lieu of an Arizona Flock ID if purchasing microchips.
Arizona Flock IDs are tied to animals. If you move, your ID moves with you as long as you are located in Arizona. Arizona Flock IDs are for sheep and goats only. Arizona Flock IDs are also referred to as Scrapie IDs. A flock ID is required for all sheep and goats to comply with state and federal identification requirements. Sheep and goats must be identified with your Arizona Flock ID number, by either a tattoo or a specially-made tamper-proof ear tag applied by you. To order your scrapie tags please refer to the order form below.
How Do I Get My Premises Registered?
Send completed and signed application to: Att: State Veterinarian Office, Arizona Department of Agriculture, 1802 W Jackson St #72, Phoenix, AZ 85007.
Obtain Scrapie Tags, National Premises ID and Arizona Flock ID
Scrapie Tags - Call 505-761-3160 or fax 505-761-3176
National Premises ID or Arizona Flock ID - Send completed application to