Frozen Dessert Safety

Food safety is important to the public, the food industry and the Department of Agriculture. Most manufacturers are aware of the required licensing, but places that make artisan frozen desserts may not be aware of the required licensing and food safety regulations.

County environmental health departments license and inspect retail sales, and the Department oversees manufacturing of frozen desserts such as ice cream, frozen yogurt and gelato. Whether a facility needs to be licensed depends on how they are making the frozen dessert.

Converting a pasteurized mix into a frozen dessert exempts a facility from licensing as a manufacturer.

Facilities that make their own mix need a manufacturer’s license by the Department. The final mix must be pasteurized using the correct equipment (3-A approved) properly designed, installed and operated.

If a powdered mix is reconstituted, sold on site and not stored, the final product does not need to be pasteurized. It must be pasteurized if it is going to be packaged.

Facilities that package frozen desserts for sale in a retail outlet (kiosks, grocery or convenience stores) may require a wholesale distributor’s license from the Department.

Want More Information?

For more information about frozen dessert regulations, contact Jeff Black at [email protected] or 602-542-4189.

Get Email Updates With The Latest News