Industrial Hemp Research
Link to 3 A.A.C. 4: https://apps.azsos.gov/public_services/Title_03/3-04.pdf
Licensing Fee Exemption for Industrial Hemp Research
Industrial Hemp Research: A person, company, college or university that conducts research into the growth, harvesting techniques, transportation methods, or processing of industrial hemp is required to obtain a license from the Department pursuant to A.R.S. § 3-314 and A.A.C. R3-4-1002 & A.A.C. R3-4-1003. If certain criteria are met, there may be opportunity to receive an exemption from the licensing fees.
R3-4-1004. Industrial Hemp Research
A. A person, company, college or university that conducts research into the growth, harvesting techniques, transportation methods, or processing of industrial hemp is required to obtain a license pursuant to this Article.
B. A person, company, college or university conducting not-for-profit research may be exempted from the licensing fee or fees provided that:
1. The applicant submits to the Department a request for an exemption of the licensing fee;
2. The applicant provides a summary of the research to be conducted;
3. The applicant provides a summary of the benefit to the agricultural community that will be gained;
4. The applicant signs into an agreement with the Department that as a result of the research conducted the applicant will not gain any monetary profit;
5. The research will be conducted in compliance with this Article or any other law, rule, or order governing the production of industrial hemp; and
6. The results or summary of the research will be published or made publicly available.
C. Intellectual property. The Department holds no rights to any intellectual property resulting from industrial hemp research.
1. A licensee shall not change not-for-profit research to for-profit research without notifying the Department and paying the required licensing fee.
2. Hemp and hemp products produced under a hemp research exemption, excluding hemp seed, are not eligible to enter the commercial stream of commerce.
Instructions to Request an Exemption for Industrial Hemp Research:
Step 1. Request an Exemption:
- Submit to the Department a letter that includes the following:
- A summary of the research to be conducted, and
- A summary of the benefit to the agricultural community that will be gained.
- If the research exemption is approved by the Department, the applicant will be notified to continue with Step 2.
Step 2. Complete the Application Process:
- Complete, sign, and submit a hemp application packet that includes:
- A hemp application form (less the licensing fee)
- A Fingerprint Clearance Card Number issued by the Arizona Department of Public Safety
- A hemp research licensing agreement.
- Supporting documents for lawful presence and
- A hemp locations form.
- Submit the completed and signed application packet to:
Arizona Department of Agriculture
EPSD - Industrial Hemp
1802 W. Jackson St., #78
Phoenix, AZ 85007
For questions regarding the licensing fee exemption for hemp research, please call: 602-542-0955 or email: [email protected]