Weights & Measures Services Division
1688 W. Adams Street
Phoenix, AZ 85007
Who We Are
Executive Assistant, Budget, and Procurement
South District Team Lead (Phoenix-Metro, Tucson, and Yuma duty posts)
North District Team Lead (Phoenix-Metro, Flagstaff, and Kingman duty posts)
Cleaner Burning Gasoline (CBG) and Gasoline Vapor Recovery
Gasoline Vapor Recovery Inspections, Scheduling, and Compliance Metrics
Regulatory Compliance Administrator
State Metrology Lab
4425 W. Olive Avenue Suite #134
Glendale, AZ 85302-3843
What We Do
The Division’s primary mission is to promote equity and fairness of Arizona commerce involving weighing or measuring for commercial purposes by regulating and supporting businesses in a manner that protects both the buyers and sellers interests. The Division carries out its mission by maintaining the State standards of weight and measure based on national standards maintained by the Federal government, licensing weighing and measuring devices used in Arizona, conducting a wide variety of inspection programs to protect the marketplace, and auditing measuring devices and enforcing the statutes, rules, and regulations governing their use.
To protect the integrity of Arizona’s marketplace by ensuring that equity and accuracy are preserved in commerce through fair and evident regulation and the effective communication of weight and measurement standards.
Objective and Purpose
The Division’s overall objective on the weights and measures front is protecting businesses and consumers via uniform inspection and test procedures, proper licensing of measuring devices, knowledgeable and well trained state investigators, and precise operation of a metrology lab that provides accurate measurements and calibrations for industry to Federal standards. The Division provides a coordinated system to follow up with inspection and procedural guidelines adopted by the National Conference on Weights and Measures (“NCWM”).
The Division also offers guidance, assistance, and educational programs to encourage the public and private sector to be efficient and compliant. As part of this effort, the Division conducts inspections of regulated facilities on a regular basis and in response to citizen complaints. The Division also pursues informal and formal enforcement actions against regulated facilities to ensure compliance with weights and measures laws.
The Division plays a critical role in Arizona's marketplace by protecting consumers and retailers from unfair business practices.
- We preserve and defend the measurement standards in which all commerce is built upon in order to deliver fair competition in the Arizona market place.
- We ensure that commercial devices (scales, vapor recovery, liquid petroleum gas, etc.) used for the sale of commodities by weight, measure or count, are licensed and accurate.
- We work to prevent unfair dealing by weight, measure or count, and the Division conducts regular inspections and investigations of potential fraud in commodities.
- We maintain the state's primary standards (those measurements upon which all other measurement is based).
- We ensure proper labeling of products sold by weight, measure or count (a gallon of gas is a gallon; your breakfast cereal weighs 20 oz. as stated on the package, etc.).
- We ensure that prices are posted and items are scanned correctly. The Department conducts regular inspections to ensure compliance by retail businesses.
- We license weighmasters who are responsible for weight certification.
- We regulate Arizona Cleaner Burning Gasoline; regulate vapor recovery environmental programs.