Weights & Measures Services Division
The Weights and Measures Services Division (WMSD) promotes equity and integrity in the Arizona marketplace to protect both consumers and businesses. WMSD carries out this mission by:
- Licensing and testing commercial devices that weigh and/or measure to determine the direct cost of commodities in consumer transactions
- Conducting retail inspections to verify price accuracy and the net contents of packaged goods
- Promoting clean air quality through the implementation of two programs: gasoline vapor recovery and Cleaner Burning Gasoline (CBG)
- Operating the State Metrology Laboratory, which maintains measurement standards traceable to the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), and ultimately the International System of Units (SI)
- Licensing Registered Service Agencies and Representatives who install and certify the accuracy of commercial weighing and measuring devices
- Licensing Public Weighmasters who produce certified weight tickets for commercial vehicles
To learn more about specific responsibilities of our division, please select one of the links on the left side of the page. If you wish to contact us, please call 602-542-4373, or send and email to [email protected]. You may also file a complaint online using the link below.
File a Complaint
Do you feel that a gas pump is not dispensing accurately? Perhaps you are concerned that you did not get what you paid for during your last trip to a retail store. If your complaint is related to Weights and Measures or product pricing...
Online Payment & License Renewal
Use our online system and enter your invoice number or location's BMF number to make a payment.
In 2022, WMSD began efforts to update the rules to allow the sale of E15 in the CBG-covered area, respond to the latested 5-year rule review, remove stage II vapor recovery requirements, and update and streamline the rules. Below is a summary of the activities:
- April 12, 2022 - Public Workshop
- April 14, 2022 - Public Workshop
- May 31, 2022 - Public Workshop
- July 22, 2022 - Docket Opening, Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Published
- August 30, 2022 - Oral Hearing and Public Comments Received