Who We Are
We license. Please contact licensing at [email protected] or at 602-542-3578. If you are seeking a license this is a good place to start for questions relating to meat, dairy, egg, brands, pesticides, feed, seed, fertilizer, aquaculture, pesticide use credentials, equine, brands, native plant, and brand issuance.
Compliance: For pesticide worker safety inspection related questions - Ernesto Lugo or Alex Bellotti at 928-344-7909. For agriculture pesticide use related compliance inspections or places selling feed, fertilizer, seed or pesticides. Please contact either Jim Steelman at 602-542-0959 or Arturo Aguirrebarrena at 928-344-7909 or Ryan Root at 602-542-0953.
For other concerns:
Associate Director: Jack Peterson ([email protected])
Divisional Assistant, Leslie Perea ([email protected])
Licensing Manager, Robert Tolton ([email protected])
What We Do
- A majority of licensing, certification, and registration for the agency. This includes feed, fertilizer, seed, pesticides, ag and pest management pesticide use credentials, meat, dairy and egg, livestock brands and native plant tags and permits. This is all done in accordance with federal and state laws.
- Sampling all feeds, fertilizers, pesticides and seeds for product quality to ensure consumers receive what the label states.
- Ensure compliance with pesticide use laws in agriculture, ensuring established buffer zones are followed, label directions are adherd to, and people are protected.
- Train and certify pesticide applicators and advisors. Provide Worker Safety program training, which is to prevent or limit farmworkers exposure to pesticides.
What is a pesticide? (click to find out)
Do I need a license, permit and/or certification for using pesticide agriculturally? (The Pest Management Division has seperate requirements so please ensure you know where you appying to know which license, permit or certification you need.)
The Arizona Department of Agriculture administers 20 tests relating to agricultural pesticide usage. Use the Key to Licenses, Permits & Certifications to decide what you need.
Tests are administered by appointment in Phoenix (602) 542-3578, Tucson (520) 628-6317or (520) 770-3035 and Yuma (928) 344-7909.
There is no cost associated with taking the exam. There is a cost for obtaining the certification or license which is shown in ( ) after the listed exam.
If you are applying pesticides for hire to structures like houses or in any non-farm setting please contact the Licensing section at 602-542-3578.
Where do I find licenses, permits, and certifications?
Find them using these resources:
- Pesticide Registration Search
- Pesticide Ag Use Related Credential Holder Search
- Dicamba Trained Certified Applicators and Handlers
- Trainer Search
- Fertilizer License Search
- Seed Dealer Search
- Seed Labeler Search
- Feed License Search
What tests do you offer?
- Private Applicator exam and Private Applicator Fumigation exam (only allows use of fumigants for on-farm stored commodity or burrowing rodents) - ($50)
- Commercial Applicator Core Exam - ($50)
- Commercial Applicator Core Category exams (you must pass at least one category exam to be commercially certified):
- Ag Pest Control
- Forest Pest Control
- Seed Treatment
- Aquatic Pest Control
- Pest Control Advisor (PCA) Core exam - ($50)
- Pest Control Advisor Category exams (you must pass at least one category exam to be licensed as a PCA):
- Insects and Mites
- Plant Pathogens
- Plant Growth Regulators
- Custom Applicator Core Exam (to apply pesticides by air or for hire) - ($100)
- Custom Applicator Ground or Air exam (you must pass at least one of the category exams to be licensed)
- Pilots exam (final exam for those who fly the planes applying pesticides) - ($50)
Where do I find a list of forms?
Visit our Download Forms page.
Can I see how many credit hours I have accumulated?
Important Notice: You can still see the classes you have taken even if your license has expired, the ability to see the courses taken is not verification your license is still valid. If you are uncertain about your license status go here: http://searchagriculture.az.gov/mastercontent/licmainsearch.aspx If it is not found please contact licensing for further verification at 602-542-3578.
Pest Control Advisor (PCA) and Private (PUP) or Commercial (PUC) applicators can check your CEUs here.
http://searchagriculture.az.gov/SearchAg/Home/CEUs (please come back to this website as this lookup is under development and URL may change as things get finalized)
Where do I find a list of available continuing education credit hours?
Where do I find information about native plants?
Check out our information about Arizona native plants or view the articles below.
Compliance Reference Information
For more information, call (602) 542-3578.