Environmental Services

Who We Are

Please contact licensing at [email protected] or at 602-542-3578.  If you are seeking a license this is a good place to start for questions relating to meat, dairy, egg, brands, pesticides, feed, seed, fertilizer, aquaculture, pesticide use credentials, equine, brands, native plant, and brand issuance. 

Compliance:  For pesticide worker safety inspection related questions - Ernesto Lugo or Alex Bellotti at 928-344-7909 or Alex Meraz at 480-737-0784.  For agriculture pesticide use related compliance inspections or places selling feed, fertilizer, seed or pesticides. Please contact Jim Steelman at 602-542-0959, or Arturo Aguirrebarrena at 928-344-7909.

For other concerns:

Associate Director: Jack Peterson ([email protected])
(602) 542-3575

Divisional Assistant, Leslie Perea ([email protected])
(602) 542-3579

Licensing Manager, Robert Tolton ([email protected])
(602) 255-3652


What We Do

  • Sampling all feeds, fertilizers, pesticides and seeds for product quality to ensure consumers receive what the label states. 
  • Ensure compliance with pesticide use laws in agriculture, ensuring established buffer zones are followed, label directions are adherd to, and people are protected.
  • Train and certify pesticide applicators and advisors. Provide Worker Safety program training, which is to prevent or limit farmworkers exposure to pesticides by ensuring employers know their responsibilities as far as the use of pesticides and portecting their employees.


Pesticide Safety Trainer information and workshop schedules




Link to ESD newsletters.



What is a pesticide? (click to find out)

Where can I find more information on bulk pesticide handling requirements? (click to find out)


Do I need a license, permit and/or certification for using pesticide agriculturally?  (The Pest Management Division has separate requirements so please ensure you know where you applying to know which license, permit or certification you need.) 

The Arizona Department of Agriculture administers 20 tests relating to agricultural pesticide usage. Use the Key to Licenses, Permits & Certifications to decide what you need.

Tests are administered by appointment in Phoenix (602) 542-3578, Tucson (520) 628-6317or (520) 770-3035 and Yuma (928) 344-7909.

There is no cost associated with taking the exam. There is a cost for obtaining the certification or license which is shown in ( ) after the listed exam.

If you are applying pesticides for hire to structures like houses or in any non-farm setting please contact the Licensing section at 602-542-3578 to answer your pest management licensing related questions.

Where do I find businesses or individuals who hold licenses, permits, and/or certifications?

Find them using these resources:

What tests are offered?

  • Private Applicator exam and Private Applicator Fumigation exam (only allows use of fumigants for on-farm stored commodity or burrowing rodents) - ($50)
  • Commercial Applicator Core Exam - ($50)
  • Commercial Applicator Core Category exams (you must pass at least one category exam to be commercially certified):
  1. Ag Pest Control
  2. Forest Pest Control
  3. Seed Treatment
  4. Aquatic Pest Control
  5. M-44
  6. Rodent
  • Pest Control Advisor (PCA) Core exam - ($50)
  • Pest Control Advisor Category exams (you must pass at least one category exam to be licensed as a PCA): 
  1. Insects and Mites
  2. Plant Pathogens
  3. Nematode
  4. Vertebrates
  5. Weed
  6. Defoliation
  7. Plant Growth Regulators
  • Custom Applicator Core Exam (to  apply pesticides by air or for hire) - ($100)
  • Custom Applicator Ground or Air exam (you must pass at least one of the category exams to be licensed)
  • Pilots exam (final exam for those who fly the planes applying pesticides) - ($50)

Additional resources:

Where do I find a list of forms?

Visit our Download Forms page.

Electronically submit your 1080s.


Can I see how many credit hours I have accumulated?

Important Notice:  You can still see the classes you have taken even if your license has expired, the ability to see the courses taken is not verification your license is still valid.  If you are uncertain about your license status go here:  http://searchagriculture.az.gov/SearchAg/Home/Credentials     If it is not found please contact licensing for further verification at 602-542-3578.

Pest Control Advisor (PCA) and Private (PUP) or Commercial (PUC) applicators can

check your Continuing Education Units (hours) here - http://searchagriculture.az.gov/SearchAg/Home/CEUs 

(please come back to this website as this lookup is under development and URL may change as things get finalized)

You can get more detail here, if you have your login information:  https://renewals.azda.gov/credentials

Where do I find a list of available continuing education credit hours?

         Annual Agriculture CEU Training

Held annually -  6 CEUs available for the attending both morning and afternoon sessions.  


Where do I find information about native plants?

Check out our information about Arizona native plants or view the articles below.


Bee Keepers/Pollinators

Local jurisdications may have restrictions relating to placement of bee hives under their planning and zoning regulations.  Check with county or city planning and zoning agencies for further information. 

In addition, Arizona has a law relating to bee hive placement near agricultural lands.  Please go to the download forms page and click on Bees-Notification by Beekeepers to Landowners.  

Further helpful information with many useful links can be found found further down on this page under "Important Documents" look for "Arizona Managment Plan for Pollinator Protection". 

Native Plant Articles

Saguaro Bacterial Necrosis Download
Cactus Wood Rules Download
Private Landowners Clearing Protected Native Plants Download
About Moving Protected Native Plants Download

Important Documents

Arizona Management Plan for Pollinator Protection Download
TFI Fertilizer Safety and Security Guidelines for Storage and Transport Download
2020 Groundwater Protection List.pdf Download
ADEQ Approved Pesticides through Sept 2013 Download

Compliance Reference Information

Form 1080 - Pesticide Application Records Submission Download
Arizona Prohibited Noxious Weed Seeds by Scientific Name Download
Arizona Prohibited Noxious Weed Seeds by Common Name Download
Arizona Restricted Noxious Weed Seeds by Scientific Name Download
Arizona Restricted Noxious Weed Seeds by Common Name Download

ESD Compliance Articles

Cottonseed Sampling Testing - Prevent Aflatoxin Contamination Milk & Animal Feed Download
Annual ESD Recertification and Training Course Download
Federal Agricultural Soil Fumigant Regulations Information Download

Pesticide Management Areas & Buffer Zone Information

Pesticide Management Areas Monitoring Program Download
Pesticide Buffer Zone Chart Download
Pesticide Management Areas Criteria Download


For more information, call (602) 542-3578.

Get Email Updates With The Latest News